307 B&C Colorado Monster Buck

Kyle Lopez with his 307 B&C Colorado Mule Deer
Kyle Lopez with his 307 7/8 gross Colorado monster mule deer

Some of you may have already seen this photo of this incredible buck flowing around emails and message boards. Is it true that a legit 300-inch non-typical mule deer buck was roaming the hills in 2007? Apparently there are a few bucks still around that you would think only happened in the good old days of mule deer hunting. Another example is the 307 inch sheds that Landon Wittwer picked up in Arizona.

This monster buck was taken by 14 year old Kyle Lopez of Colorado in November of 2007. He was hunting with his father when they came across this buck. Kyle knocked it down, and at the time had no idea how big the buck was. When they walked up to the buck, they couldn’t believe what they were seeing. Points everywhere!

I am excited to announce that you will be able to read the awesome story to this hunt in our next issue (Feb/March 2008) of Hunting Illustrated. You will also see Kyle’s buck in a future King’s Calendar.

Even though the buck still has until January 7th to be officially measured, Kyle’s dad Steed wanted to get a good, legit green score to have confidence in the score he was telling people. Roger Selner is an official measurer for Boone & Crockett and stopped by the Lopez home to score Kyle’s record buck. The green score is the following:

307 7/8 gross B&C
303 5/8 net B&C
207 0/8 typical frame
20×16 points
37 2/8-inch outside spread
100 7/8 inches of abnormal points

Stay tuned to this post as I will be keeping it up to date on the latest happenings and will post the official score as soon as it comes in.

So where does this rank?
The state record non-typical mule deer for Colorado scores 306 7/8. You would kind of think that the state record would be higher considering Colorado’s great tradition of mule deer. However, out of the 22 mule deer that are listed in Boone & Crockett that score 300 inches or higher, six of them are from Colorado (double any other state/province).

If Kyle’s score holds, it will be #5 for the state of Colorado and #19 in the world!

UPDATE: See the latest post about the official score of the Lopez Buck

29 Comments on "307 B&C Colorado Monster Buck"

1. Shawn says:

This is a tremendous big. Just getting to see a deer of this caliber in the wild would be awsome.

However, did anyone notice that this boy is hunting in Colorado, with snow on the ground, and he is wearing shorts?

2. Art says:

Buckasaurus Rex!!!!!!! Yea, I noticed the shorts in the snow. Speculating from the picture this buck was shot while road hunting. I’m sure there will be comments sent chastising him about road hunting. But I won’t be one of them. Sometimes that’s all you have time for is a quick drive around after school to look for bucks. Or you hunt hard all day and see nothing, then on the drive back to camp a buck steps out and gives you an easy shot. That’s just the way things go. That’s how I got my first buck with my Dad when I was 14 and the look on my dad’s face beaming with pride is the trophy I keep with me.(see you in heaven dad) So let’s all just be happy for Kyle.

3. Just thought I better clarify some things as the photo does show Kyle in shorts, etc. The photo posted above is when Kyle was back at the truck at his home the next morning. The buck was not killed off from the road. He killed the buck with his dad about three miles from their truck and drug the buck back in the dark that night before.

Hope this helps.

David King
    Hunting Illustrated

4. adam bedont says:

that is a freeken huge buck FLAT OUT

5. Nate says:

Holy crap!!! Give it up for this kid!!! That is friekin awesome… I can only imagine what was going on in his head when he pulled the trigger. Also give it up for the dad who gave him first crack at that monster!!! As a proud father myself, I can imagine how proud his dad must be. That is huge! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

6. steven berg Jr says:

yeah, you can tell from the pic that the deer had been dead a while. stiffened up with a stick in the cavity. defiantly no hint of a road hunt. nice deer kyle!

7. Simon Weston says:

What a monster…I would have been all thumbs, two left feet and crossed eyed if I crossed that monster. Kyle, congratulations on your “Buck”.

8. harold Hunt Jr says:

You sure got one for the wall.Most of us can only dream of getting one of that caliber.GREAT JOB

9. justin says:

i would have given him another year hahaha jk

10. Derek says:

Good job!!!!! That is one awesome buck. Keep it up.

11. talan says:

thats amazin i just got my first buck that scored about 120 and i thought i did pretty good!!! WOW!! great job kyle

12. GA says:

Is there any truth that this buck was shot in the 4th Colorado season in unit 59 (part of Kyle’s relatives ranch). If so that unit does not have a 4th season deer season.

13. sheepguide says:

No truth to that what so ever! This buck was Killed North of Kyle’s home in Divide During the third rifle season. Not sure what your trying to stir up, but I’m sure there are a ton of rumors out there. Now you know the real story.
    Kyle’s dad
    Steed Lopez

14. Mike Nichols says:

Congradulations that is one really nice Buck-I would like to know what unit and or town-

15. Steed Lopez says:

The Buck was Killed In Douglas County Colo. That a bout all I’m willing to part with. we would like to draw a tag in this unit again, and not have to wait 15 yrs to do it.

16. kisu says:

great job. not many people get to see anything that size or even to get a shot at one. Que Dios Te Bendiga………

17. kolby grimes says:

man thats a monster deer congradulations.!!! im glad to here there are still giant deer out there!!!!i bet you were on cloud nine when you shot it i was when i resently shot my nine pointer!!! well i hope you continue to have good luck hunting!!!

18. Cobra says:

Sometimes the kids get all the luck… Great buck and I know that he will be spoiled on future hunts. The big bucks still roam the planet.

19. Fred says:

Nice job Kyle! Everybody in the family has got to be proud of you. I know I would. Now don’t too disappointed next year if you have to settle for an eight pointer. Ha!

20. brock says:

I wish I could see something half as good as this it is a great buck congrats

21. brock says:

I wish I could see something half as good as this it is a great buck congrats dont embarrass us agian next year

22. Dillon says:

WOW what a buck, great job kyle, i’m sure your dad wished he would have pulled the trigger in-stead of you. i hope i’m lucky enough to get something remotely close to that.

23. Andrew says:

That is truly an amazing specimen some might even resolve to calling it a freak of nature. get job on the harvest kyle. not to be a negative nancy, but to focus too much on the rack size is to disrespect the animal and the harvest of an animal…from the sounds of it, it was kyle’s first buck, or close to, i just hate to see hunting ruined for this kid because he harvested such a large deer so early in his hunting career, thus feeling to shoot anything smaller would be insignificant. the truth is no matter how large the rack, your still hunting for the meat so the harvest of a yearling doe should receive the same respect as that of the state record buck. treasure the hunt, the experience and the payoff from your hard work, and send praise for the luck to draw a tag and find such an amazing deer. best of luck to kyle and his family, and cheers to his dad who sacrificed his time and effort to get his kid involved in hunting and to share the enthusiasm he has for towards the outdoors with his son

24. matt valdez says:

hey so what if there is snow on the ground and he is wearing shorts that no big deal i wear shorts all the time and i live in colorado so what….what we need to be looking at is the huge buck i mean what a animal. kyle you are one lucky guy that i really a buck of a life time great job

25. josh P says:

ceader mt. is good hunting i think

26. kelly says:

WOW!!!! i have hunted all my life and i have never saw a buck like that. i had a chance at about a 190 typical buck but i didn’t get him, just looking at him i was getting nervious. i can only imagion what it was like when you was looking through the scope. Great job and oh ya have fun finding a biger one. haha.

27. sunny says:

Nice job can’t wait to see if u ever beat that. I hope so but doubt it. All the people giving u grief, thats just jealousy. Enjoy that moment for the rest of your life.

28. nate says:

last year i got a deer that scord 150 but nothing like that ! ! !

29. fordyce69 says:

thats huge!!!!!

Got something to say? Go for it!